Prep Time: 30 minutes • Cook Time: 30 MINUTES • Serves: 8-12
- 2 small-medium skinny sized eggplants (cut into 1⁄3” thick rounds)
- 1 cup homemade tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 1 ball of fresh mozzarella
- 1⁄4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 tbsp. red chili flakes
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- sea salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- olive oil
- Line a baking tray with a kitchen towel.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt on each slice of eggplant and lay down
on tray for an hour —the salt will remove a lot of the bitterness.
- Pre heat oven to 410 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add flour, one teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of fresh cracked black pepper to a plate and combine.
- In a small bowl beat eggs and combine with oregano.
- Add breadcrumbs to another small plate.
- Lay each eggplant slice in the flour. Shake excess off. Submerge in egg, then firmly coat with breadcrumbs; set aside.
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet to medium high. Add two tablespoons of vegetable oil and fry eggplant until golden brown (approximately two minutes a side). Remove to a baking tray lined with a kitchen towel to absorb excess oil.
- On a rimmed baking tray, lined with parchment paper, lay down
the fried eggplant, a slice of mozzarella, a basil leaf, eggplant and slice
of mozzarella. Bake for two or three minutes or until cheese melts,
and serve with tomato sauce.