Serves 4 | Prep Time: 10 minutes, Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 tbsp (15ml) extra virgin olive oil
2 cups (500ml) chopped Spanish onion
1 cup (250ml) chopped celery
4 cups (1L) peeled and chopped russet potatoes
2 cups (500ml) chopped leeks, white part only
5 cups (1.25L) filtered water
½ cup (125ml) soaked cashews
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil and heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the celery, potatoes and leeks and heat, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Place the soup in a blender or food processor along with the cashews and purée until smooth.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve and season to taste with salt and pepper.