Globally, Zika has been a hot topic this year. And, with mosquitoes being a large carrier of the disease, you need to understand how to properly protect your family from harmful bites. Follow these steps to keep those pesky bugs at bay!
1. Choose a personal mosquito repellent based on the length of time you’ll be outside and type of activity you’re planning.
2. Use a Health Canada-registered insect repellent. Experts recommend using products containing DEET, picardin or oil of lemon eucalyptus.
3. Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants when outside.
4. Eliminate standing water around your home to reduce mosquito breeding grounds. Check places like flower pots, bird baths and gutters.
5. Inspect the bug screens on your windows and repair them if needed.
For additional information on protecting yourself and your family from mosquito bites, visit Health Canada’s website here.