Turkey with Stuffing
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Alton Brown, “Good Eats”
1 (10 to 12-lb) turkey, with giblets removed
1 qt chicken broth
2 oz dried mushrooms
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup green pepper, chopped
1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for rubbing on turkey
1 tbsp kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning turkey
3 cups Challah bread, cut into ½-inch cubes (approximately 4 to 5 slices)
4 oz unsweetened dried cherries
2 oz pecans, approximately ½ cup chopped
2 whole eggs, beaten
2 tsp dried rubbed sage
2 tsp dried parsley
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning chicken
1 re-usable organic cotton produce bag (see chef’s note)
Chef’s Note: The bag is optional. Once the stuffing is made, you can place the stuffing into the bag and then place the bag into the cavity of the turkey.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Place the turkey into a deep, high-sided bowl with the stuffing end up. Set aside.
- Heat the chicken broth in the microwave in a large microwave-proof container. Place mushrooms in a glass bowl and pour heated broth over them. Cover and allow to sit for 35 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl toss the onion, celery and green pepper with the oil and salt. Place the vegetables on a sheet pan and roast for 35 minutes. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, spread the cubed bread over the vegetables, return to the oven and continue cooking.
- Drain mushrooms, reserving 1 cup of liquid. Chop the mushrooms and place in a large microwave-proof bowl with the vegetables and bread, reserved chicken stock, cherries, pecans, eggs, sage, parsley and black pepper. Stir well in order to break up pieces of bread. Use your hands to combine, if necessary. Heat the stuffing in a microwave on high power for 6 minutes.
- While the stuffing is heating, rub the bird with oil. Working quickly, place the stuffing into the cavity of the turkey to avoid losing heat. Place the turkey into a roasting pan and season with salt and pepper. Place the roasting pan on the middle rack of the oven. Roast for 45 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350ºF and cook for another 60 to 75 minutes or until the bird reaches an internal temperature of 170ºF. Serve immediately.