Get a feel-good glow with a more natural beauty regimen
by kate daley
- If you eat a healthy diet, why not set the same standard for your beauty routine? By cutting out potentially toxic ingredients such as phthalates, parabens, sodium laurel sulfates (SlS) and triclosans in your beauty products, you could be improving your health overall. Many of the aforementioned ingredients are suspected of being carcinogens and hormone disruptors.
- Choose organic and natural cosmetic brands that don’t test their products on animals to ensure that you and the company you support enforce environmental and ethical standards. Check the label — most brands will make it clear on the packaging if they support animal rights initiatives.
- Natural products not only improve the look of your skin and hair, they can actually help nourish and repair. Many contain multi-purpose ingredients such as coconut, argan, olive, evening primrose and jojoba oils that will nourish your hair and body.
- Looking for natural skin boosters? Wash up with a rosehip oil cleanser that’s a natural source of Vitamin C, exfoliate with a cleanser containing rice or oatmeal, apply naturally sourced salicylic acid from the willow tree to help fight acne and slather on a serum with the açai berry from South America, a potent antioxidant. If you want a soothing skin mask, look for those with avocado oils to help retain moisture, yogurt to soothe and cleanse and honey which holds in moisture and also acts as a natural antibacterial agent.
- There’s no need to forgo a pretty manicure to go green. Look for an eco-friendly nail polish that’s free of the big no-no’s — phthalates, formaldehyde, camphor and toluene.
- For the beauty queen who won’t leave the house without her face on, try something mineral based. Made with mica and zinc, these products are great for sensitive skin types (such as rosacea sufferers) because they are generally free of irritants such as fragrance or dyes.
- Look for perfume made with essential oils and botanical scents such as lavendar, patchouli, or rosewater. The aromatherapeutic benefits of these scents can help calm, stimulate or de-stress while giving you a sweet scent. Safe for your skin and your lungs, breathe easy knowing that you’re spritzing yourself with a plant-based product.